I, Charlene Dawson, have accepted the position as Health Director for the Dzawada’enuxw First Nation, Health & Social Development Centre as of September 12, 2011. I do have experience in working as Acting Health Director over the years that I have worked here in Kingcome. I have taken the course through UBC, the Aboriginal Health Administration Course. I have worked in the area of Health & Social Services for over thirty years now. I began my work here in Kingcome as Community Health Representative and Band Social Worker in 1980, and over the years have done Alcohol and Drug Work, Department Head for Health Department. I feel I have the experience to move forward with our community in the area of Health and Social Development. I look forward to working with the community and our outside organizations.
On a personal note, my parents are Thomas Dawson and Amy (Willie). My grandparents were Tom and Alice (Mountain) Dawson on my father’s side, and Charlie and Emily (Scow) Willie I am a mother of five children and a grandmother. I grew up here, moved out for about ten years, and then came back in 1979. Over the years I have taken many different types of courses/programs/counseling to enhance myself personally and professionally. This is my home, and I am honored to have deep roots here, and to have the opportunity to work here.
HEALTH & SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
The role is responsible for the overall management of the Health Center in all aspects, with the goal of supporting community Health and Wellness through Health Care Programs and Services.
- To manage the Health Centre; Plan, Lead, Organize and Control the Health Centre including its staff, operations and finances.
- To develop, implement, deliver and monitor Health Care Projects and Programs to serve the community.
- To provide administrative management to the Health and Social Development Department; Manage finances including revenues, budgets and variance; control assets.
- To lead and manage the Health Care Staff; including hiring, training and development, performance management (evaluations, discipline, recognition, promotions, terminations, etc.)
- To provide leadership and outreach on Health and Wellness to the community at large.
- To work with the Health Committee, Administration, Council and General Assembly, promote traditional and contemporary healthcare in the community.
- To promote holistic health, starting with SELF.
- To work cooperatively with regional, provincial and national agencies to ensure improvements are made to the Health Care System.